I love the fall. I love the cooler temperatures. I love wearing sweaters and boots. I love dinner. Ok, that’s all the time, but I especially love comforting dishes that don’t require a lot of clean up. This is one of those kinds of meals. Dinner that can be put on the table in less than an hour, taste amazing and its all made in one pan? Sign me up!
I was perusing Pinterest one night while I was meal planning, looking for something that would just hit the spot. I wasn’t really looking for anything in particular, but I knew I wanted something different than we’d been having. With it being fall, I knew it was time to shake it up and go for something a little warmer than our BLTAs or pork tenderloin (not that there’s anything wrong with either of those dinner options because let’s face it, they’re delicious).
I found this recipe and decided to play with it a little bit. I didn’t have heavy cream, nor do I cook with it on any kind of a regular basis. To me, it wasn’t worth heading to the store for. If you’re in love with it, though, have at it! It can only make this dish more decadent. If you’re looking to lighten things up, try it with milk. It won’t be as creamy, but it certainly will have the flavor. I used half and half because it’s always in my fridge in case I want a little in my coffee and it was a good compromise. I also almost always have cream cheese on hand and this was a perfect addition to this sauce.
Oh, and by the way, this dish is delicious heated up for leftovers. Serve it over rice or with a piece of bread to soak up the sauce and it’s heavenly.
This is definitely one to keep in mind for a weeknight meal. While it’s not the fastest dish I’ve ever made say, on a Wednesday, it’s easy and some of the steps really can be done ahead of time. If you want to prep for this one, slice the mushrooms or cook the chicken and bacon ahead of time. Since you’re heating up the meat in the sauce, it’s perfectly fine.
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, stems removed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook bacon in a large oven-safe skillet. Set aside and crumble. Drain the grease from the pan but don't wipe it out or clean it.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Add the chicken to what's left of the bacon grease and sear each side. Place the entire skillet in the oven, cover, and cook until chicken is done. Remove chicken and set aside.
- In the juice leftover from the chicken over medium heat, saute the mushrooms until soft. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add cream cheese and combine completely. Stir in half and half and thyme. Reduce the heat to low and allow sauce to thicken while stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the bacon back in the pan and stir to combine. Place the chicken in the sauce and allow chicken to heat through.
- To serve, sprinkle fresh thyme over the top.